Garlic butter trout is the subject of episode 2 of this catch and cook.
Well, it’s actually more about the cooking.
Since we covered the catching in a previous blog called Getting Smashed in Cooktown.
Recap of gear used…
GARMIN 8412 and GT51 transducer. (find out why >>here)
Rod: Quantum Smoke Inshore 621BC
Reel: Quantum Reliance PT
Lures: Various – the best ones we will stock in our shop from September 2021
Line: 30lb Rovex braid with 60lb Ande mono leader.
Garlic Butter Trout ingredients.
- Fillet the fish.
- Trim off the blood and cut fish into bite-size pieces. Sharpen your knife >> this way.
- Using a bag, lightly coat with flour.
- Thinly slice three garlic cloves and mix into melted butter on the hotplate.
- Cook fish over medium heat until golden brown.
Watch our demo video below as we cook up our glorious coral trout specimen.
Garlic butter trout is delicious and one of my favourite ways to cook coral trout.
The flesh is so white and the texture so delicate – just be sure and not to overcook it.
We did this catch and cook in Cooktown. What a magic little town.
And a previous catch and cook was also done here using fish wraps.
However, Cooktown is notorious for bad weather and this trip was no exception.
We got chased off the foreshore by a squall, interrupting filming of our garlic butter trout segment.
After racing back to the van it was no less enjoyable.
So there you have it… Our garlic butter trout recipe!
We hope you enjoyed the video.
You can find some tips on how to catch coral trout here.
- What rig to use to catch coral trout.
- Catching reef fish with shallow diving lures.
- Catch and cook coral trout – Ruffy vs Ryan.
And here are some more free tips to help you fish smarter and become a great angler.