Win a free barra fishing charter with Ryan Moody
Subscribe to our fishing community for special offers, FREE fishing videos and blog updates AND go in the draw to win a free Hinchinbrook barra fishing charter for two. Drawn 30th December and each year. Not incl. travel & accomodation.
Hooked on Hinchinbrook Barra Fishing Charters
Putting clients onto premiere sportsfish for nearly 30 years.
Pristine Hinchinbrook Island is a dual World Heritage Listed National Park and the intricate maze of surrounding estuaries and creeks have been protected from commercial net fishing since 1998. Escapees from the now-defunct barra farm haven't done it any harm either. Hinchinbrook Island has no inhabitants and is 400 square kilometres of pure wilderness.
The result is an extensive web of channels, creeks and waterholes teaming with life. With breathtaking scenery and spectacular fishing, you must visit this region at least once in your life.
To date, Ryan Moody has caught nearly 2000 metre plus barra for fishing charter clients in the Hinchinbrook Channel and surrounding areas!!! That's over 2km of bucket list barramundi, not to mention metre plus threadfin, permit (snub nose dart), reds, fingermark, jewies, GT's, marlin and more...
Mid-way between Townsville and Cairns in spectacular far north Queensland.
"Five minutes of trolling, over 15 minutes of battling wills and 104cm of barra. Ryan Moody is no hype, no bluster, versatile, professional, knowledgeable. Most importantly, Ryan Moody delivers. Even in adverse conditions he got us on the fish and netted me my first metre plus barra." - Jesse Bell, Boar and Barra Adventures-
Barra Fishing Charter info.
What we provide:
- Premiere fishing guide Ryan Moody who has put clients onto over 1900 “bucket list” 1m + saltwater barramundi (plus other premium species if your target is non-barra).
- Custom 6 metre vessel designed by Ryan providing the ultimate estuary barra fishing platform for a maximum of four anglers.
- High quality rods and reels chosen specifically for each set purpose and regularly re-spooled with premium braid/line (dependent on technique and conditions). Feel free to bring your own if you have a favourite. Otherwise leave that up to us. Please note we do not supply fly fishing gear and tackle.
- Ice, cold water and live bait/lures (please note that lost lures will incur a $15.00 fee per lure). Again if you have favourites feel free to bring your own.
- Unsurpassed scenery of the Hinchinbrook Channel - closed to commercial net fishing since 1998.
- Pick up from your Cardwell accomodation.
What you provide:
- Hat, sunscreen, your preferred lunch and refreshments (Please appreciate that alcohol consumption should be kept to a moderate level).
- Camera and any other personal effects e.g. spray jacket.
- Long sleeved shirts are advisable especially if unaccustomed to tropical Queensland sun.
- Transport to and from Cardwell.
- Prompt payment at the conclusion of the charter period. 20% deposit required for all charters over 2 days. The deposit will be refunded if the trip is cancelled for bad weather and you choose not to reschedule.
- Fly Fishing gear and tackle if preferred.
What to expect:
- Spectacular scenery in a location closed to commercial net fishing since 1998.
- Absolute personalised service taking care of all your fishing needs from start to finish.
- Please note – All barra over 1m to be released. Gone are the days of going on charter to fill your freezer. This is about the experience of catching the fish of a lifetime and the joy of watching her swim away.
Charter pricing per day including GST is based on the number of anglers (maximum of four).
- 2 anglers – $395 per person
- 3 anglers – $300 per person.
- 4 anglers – $270 per person.
Minimum price for the vessel (e.g. 1 angler) is $720 per day.
Frequently asked questions?
Click on the tabs below or complete our contact form.
Not surprisingly, Ryan’s three most regular clients are corporate clients! Corporate charters are a great way of connecting with your VIP customers for their continued custom, as well as rewards for your staffs efforts including Christmas breakups. It provides a great platform to undertake business meetings and get to know your clients better. If building solid relationships with your clients and staff are part of your business plan, a corporate charter with us is the way to go.
No problem. Ryan is regularly chartered by clients who require more than one vessel. Just let us know via our contact page and we will try our best to accommodate you. Ryan’s vessel is limited to a maximum of four therefore all charters 5 and above will require additional vessel/s. Price on application.
While catching a barramundi is usually the order of the day, recently the focus has shifted to metre plus threadfin salmon. Like a professional snooker player who picks the ball and pocket, Ryan can target any species found in the area including threadfin salmon, fingermark, GT’s, black jew, spaniards, golden grunter and when the weather allows, can fish inshore wonky holes for reds (scarlet sea perch, red emperor and coral trout). Check out our photo gallery for other species caught on charter.
Ryan utilises many methods to maximise catches depending on the weather, tide and target species including live bait, lure casting, lure trolling and jigging soft plastics. If you have a preference, please let us know when booking and we will pick the best tides for you. We do cater for fly fishers, however we do not provide fishing tackle (maximum of 2 anglers when fly fishing).
The vessel is an 18foot custom built Cairns Custom Craft, set out in an open plan to maximise fishing comfort. The vessel is fitted with state of the art electronics: Garmin GCV 10 CHIRP SideVu side scan sonar and the latest Garmin Panoptix scanner. The vessel is powered by a 2014 90hp Evinrude E-Tec, cruises at 34 knots and also sports a 80 pound GPS lock electric motor.
All deposits will be forfeited upon cancellation of the charter except in the following instances; 1) Cancellation three months prior to charter date. 2) The charter is cancelled due to severe weather and you do not wish to reschedule. 3) Unavoidable cancellation by Ryan (ill-health). In this case every attempt will be made to obtain an alternative charter provider, however if you do not wish to take this option, deposits are fully refundable.
Accommodation and Travel to Cardwell:
Accommodation options in Cardwell and how to get here can be found on our accommodation page.
Where to from here?
Click the link below for our contact form and enter preferred dates, number of people and a contact phone number for Ryan to get back to you. Hope to see you soon.
Subscribe to our fishing community for special offers, FREE fishing videos and blog updates.
Can we solve your fishing woes?
"Ryan Moody without a doubt is one of the best... he continually delivers results of monster fish and his knowledge of the fishery is amazing!"Scott Hillier, Creek to Coast presenter